SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is one of those parts of any online business that can make you seize up. You know it’s important but how do you get started? And SEO isn’t just important for websites ranking via Google – every podcast player is basically another little search engine of its own. This is why it’s beneficial to understand how SEO works not only at the website-level, but how SEO for podcasts can impact your visibility.
Don’t panic! My guest today is the brilliant Akilah Thompkins-Robinson whose goal in life is to help female entrepreneurs learn SEO and search marketing strategies in order to grow their businesses. Akilah has worked in IT for 17 years and she also tours the country speaking about the importance of using your voice to become visible in business, particularly in spaces where women traditionally lack representation.
A brief warning: this interview is PACKED with actionable tips. So like I say at the top of the episode, I recommend that you listen to it at least twice! But I promise you will walk away with something that you can use, either as a guest or a host.
SEO for Podcasts with Akilah Thompkins-Robinson
Topics covered include:
- Akilah’s journey to becoming an SEO specialist. Her definition of SEO, and why SEO for podcasts is important
- Your content is key – so make sure you’re talking about the things that people are searching for
- Podcast guests: how to use SEO to leverage the opportunity and draw people back to you. Also, how the way in which the host uses SEO could affect who you pitch to!
- Podcast hosts: don’t share links to third-party services, bring people back to your site. Also, how you can make sure that a guest is more likely to share an interview
- How to research keyword phrases, and what to do with that information, as a host AND a guest
- How SEO for podcasts, when done correctly, can ensure that your show keeps coming up when people search for guests and topics
Just to emphasize, there is a LOT in this episode. Nobody is expected to get all of this right straight off the bat. Pull out a couple of Akilah’s suggestions, play around with the tools she recommends and see what works for you. If there’s one key lightbulb moment for you, I would LOVE to hear about it. Record a message at speakpipe.com/GPY or let me know on IG @angie_trueblood.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- This episode is sponsored by the podwize co-op. Visit angietrueblood.training/coop to find out more
- Book a discovery call or a 1:1 Fix My Pitch strategy session
- Follow Angie on Instagram – and submit your screenshots when you’re ready to Go Pitch Yourself
- Grab your FREE copy of Akilah’s SEO Beginners’ Guide
- Visit the Girl Get Visible website
- Listen to the Girl Get Visible podcast
- Follow Girl Get Visible on Facebook and Instagram
- Check out the SEO tools Akilah mentions: Longtail Pro and Ubersuggest’s Free Keyword Tool
- If you have a question or a comment, either email or leave a message for Angie at speakpipe.com/GPY
Now it’s time for you to get out there and Go Pitch Yourself! Be sure to screenshot this episode and tag me on Instagram @angie_trueblood and let me know that you are ready to #gopitchyourself! I’ll add your post to my story and help you spread the word!
Can’t wait to connect again!
Feel like you need a little support in getting started pitching yourself?
Follow & Review in Apple Podcasts
Are you following the podcast? If not, I’d love for you to do that today so you don’t miss ANY episodes. Click here to follow via Apple Podcasts!
And, if you are SUPER pumped about the show, I would be so thankful if you would pop over to Apple Podcasts and leave a review. Crazy enough, reviews help other folks find my podcast and they help me get a real sense of what you love about the show.
Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Much love, friend.
Special thanks to Steve Woodward at PodcastingEditor.com for handling all the behind-the-scenes tech pieces of production.